Skip to main content
Register/ Log In
Register/ Log In
Art and Architecture
Biology and Life Sciences
Communication, Media Studies, & Journalism
Earth and Environmental Science
Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies
Return to American Government in Black and White 4e Student Resources
Chapter 6 Chapter Quiz
1. There are _____ voting members of Congress.
2. Elections for the House of Representatives are held every ____ years.
3. Elections for the Senate are held every ____ years.
4. Every two years, what proportion of the Senate is up for reelection?
5. Congress capped the number of members in ______
6. The number and proportion of Black and Latino House members has increased significantly since
a. The introduction of the Brown v. Board of Education ruling.
b. The introduction of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
c. The introduction of majority/minority districts.
d. There has not been a significant increase.
7. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton represents ______, and therefore cannot vote for legislation.
b. Washington, D.C.
8. There are ___ minority Senators in the 116th Congress.
9. For the first time ever, there are ____ American Indian women serving in the House of Representatives in the 116th Congress.
10. The Congressional Record is
a. The published record of the official proceedings of Congress.
b. The unpublished record of the official proceedings of Congress.
c. The published record of lobbyists' meetings with members of Congress.
d. None of the above.
11. How many presidents has the House of Representatives impeached?
12. How many presidents has the Senate removed from office?
13. Based on the party affiliations of the president, the House, and the Senate during the 112th Congress, the United States had a(n)
a. Unified government.
b. Divided government.
c. Effective government.
d. Ineffective government.
14. Committees can amend bills
a. Before they reach the committee sessions.
b. Once they have been assigned to the committee.
c. During markup sessions.
d. After they have been sent to the floor.
15. The most powerful position in the House of Representatives is the
a. Speaker of the House.
b. House majority leader.
c. House minority leader.
d. House majority whip.
Select your Country