1. What are the premises and conclusion of Paley’s design argument? Do you think his argument is successful? Why or why not? How might an evolutionary biologist respond to Paley’s argument?
2. Is an infinite regress impossible, as Aquinas says? Can you conceive of an infinite series stretching back in time or forward to the future? Explain. Why does Aquinas think that an infinite regress is impossible? What is his argument?
3. Can religious experience demonstrate that God exists? Why or why not? What are some criticisms of arguments based on religious experience?
4. Offer a plausible theory of why strong belief in God has dropped from 71 percent of Americans in 2007 to 63 percent in 2014.
5. What are the three ways that a Buddhist can coherently respond to the charge that Buddhism conflicts with modern science? Which on seems most plausible to you? Why?