Skip to main content
Register/ Log In
Register/ Log In
Art and Architecture
Biology and Life Sciences
Communication, Media Studies, & Journalism
Earth and Environmental Science
Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies
Return to American Government in Black and White 4e Student Resources
Chapter 8 Chapter Quiz
1. The ongoing Flint, Michigan, water crisis, which started in _____, is a direct example of bureaucratic failure.
2. Which of the following is not one of the categories of the federal bureaucracy?
a. Independent bureaus.
b. Independent regulatory commissions.
c. Government corporations.
d. Independent executive agencies.
3. Most bureaucrats are
a. Elected in general elections.
b. Elected in special elections.
c. Hired based on their qualifications.
d. Appointed by the president.
4. The U.S. bureaucracy has ____ federal cabinet departments.
5. The federal bureaucracy consisted of _____ cabinet departments at the founding of the nation
6. Which of the following is the most recently established cabinet department?
a. Health and Human Services.
c. Homeland Security.
d. Veterans' Affairs.
7. When was the Department of Homeland Security established?
8. Which Cabinet department is most directly responsible for laws concerning civil rights?
9. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission was established under the
a. Civil Rights Act of 1964.
b. Voting Rights Act of 1965.
c. Fair Housing Act of 1968.
d. None of the above.
10. The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) was originally a part of the
a. Department of War.
b. Department of the Interior.
c. Department of State.
d. Department of Justice.
11. Congress passed the Pendleton Act in
12. Congress passed the Hatch Act in
13. Which president lost his life over the issue of patronage in the federal bureaucracy?
14. Which president was instrumental in the establishment of the patronage system in the federal bureaucracy?
15. Which president persuaded Congress to create the Senior Executive Service?
Review & Submit
Select your Country