1. Examine the differences between civil rights and civil liberties. Is either concept protected by the Constitution to a greater degree? If so, how?
2. Explain how civil rights movements come about. What makes them more or less successful?
3. Discuss the connection between the concept of civil rights and the concept of democracy. To what degree can a government be viewed as democratic without strong protections for civil rights?
4. Compare and contrast two separate civil rights movements from the twentieth century and determine common practices and deviations in strategy.
5. To what degree does it seem likely that the Black Lives Matter demonstrations and the Standing Rock protests will become social movements? What aspects of social movements lead to your conclusions?