Skip to main content
Register/ Log In
Register/ Log In
Art and Architecture
Biology and Life Sciences
Communication, Media Studies, & Journalism
Earth and Environmental Science
Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies
Return to American Government in Black and White 4e Student Resources
Chapter 3 Chapter Quiz
1. How many states have a bicameral legislature?
2. States redraw district lines every ____ years, after each
a. 4; U.S. presidential election.
b. 2; U.S. House of Representatives election.
c. 6; U.S. Senate election.
d. 10; Decennial census.
3. Most lawsuits and criminal prosecutions take place in the
a. Municipal courts.
b. State trial courts.
c. State supreme courts.
d. Federal court system.
4. Which of the following relates to how states must relate to one another?
a. Supremacy clause.
b. Elastic clause.
c. Commerce clause.
d. Extradition clause.
5. Which of the following was made irrelevant by the Thirteenth Amendment?
a. Fugitive slave clause.
b. Full faith and credit clause.
c. Privileges and immunities clause.
d. Interstate compact clause.
6. Which constitutional amendment prohibits slavery throughout the United States?
7. The ________ amendment prevents states from denying women the right to vote based on their sex.
8. The __________ amendment prevents states from denying the right to vote based on race or ethnicity
9. Which amendment prevents states from denying full citizenship to their residents based on their race?
10. Which amendment ends the practice of poll taxes?
11. Which amendment set the nationwide voting age at 18?
12. How many amendments to the Constitution are there?
13. Which amendment to the Constitution guarantees states powers not given to the national government or forbidden to the states?
14. Which of the following was allowed to continue because of the lack of national government power over the states?
a. Civil rights violations.
c. Child labor.
d. All of the above.
15. Which of the following is the principle that allowed states to segregate the races in public facilities, as long as the state provided each race with basic access to the public facility in question?
a. Dual federalism.
b. Cooperative federalism.
c. Separate but equal.
Select your Country