Skip to main content
Register/ Log In
Register/ Log In
Art and Architecture
Biology and Life Sciences
Communication, Media Studies, & Journalism
Earth and Environmental Science
Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies
Return to American Government in Black and White 4e Student Resources
Chapter 14 Chapter Quiz
1. The Democratic-Republicans formed after the election of ___________ as president.
a. George Washington
b. John Adams
c. Thomas Jefferson
d. James Madison
2. The Whigs formed after the election of ____________ as president.
a. Van Buren
3. The American political system has a
a. One-party system.
b. Two-party system.
c. Three-party system.
d. Proportional representation system.
4. The first two major political parties in the United States were the ______ and the ________.
a. Democratic-Republicans; Federalist Party.
b. Democratic-Republicans; Whigs.
c. Federalist Party; Whigs.
d. Democratic Party; Republican Party.
5. The Sedition Act, which criminalized harsh criticism of the president and his policies, was enacted in
6. The Twelfth Amendment to the Constitution requires that
a. The president and vice president will be chosen in different election cycles.
b. The vice president will be the person who received the second largest number of votes during the presidential election.
c. The president and vice president will be elected on separate ballots, thus allowing for party tickets.
d. All of the above.
7. The states ratified the Twelfth Amendment in
8. The patronage system was greatly expanded by which president?
a. Thomas Jefferson.
b. Andrew Jackson.
c. Franklin Roosevelt.
d. Harry Truman.
9. Which political party experienced a period of unprecedented support and national government power between 1897 and 1933?
b. Federalist Party.
c. Republican Party.
d. Democratic Party.
10. Which region of the country experienced significant alignment with the Democratic Party during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries?
11. The Democratic Party experienced a major national landslide in
12. The U.S. political system experienced a period of dealignment starting in
13. Which of the following was a major political party in the United States?
a. Bull Moose Party.
b. Know Nothing Party.
c. Populist Party.
14. The _________ issues "superdelegates" in addition to pledged delegates at its party convention.
a. Democratic Party
b. Republican Party
c. Libertarian Party
d. Green Party
15. The major political parties hold their national party conventions every
b. Two years.
c. Four years.
d. Six years.
Select your Country